Sunday, February 22, 2009

Realizations


It's funny how becoming a mother can really change your life. These changes you gladly accept too. Even though at times you just want to cry or collapse (mostly from sheer exhaustion). You do these things and would do them over and over because that little person is unequivocally the most important thing in your life and you'd do *anything* for him/her. Now, I know I said mother. Don't worry guys, I'm not leaving you out. I'm not a father, so I can't speak from personal experience, therefore I am writing about what I personally have gone through so far. I've been a mommy for just over 7 weeks and in that short time, I've realized some stuff.

  • There is no such thing at *sleeping through the night*. Sure, your little one may conk out for 5-6 hour stretches, but you find yourself starved for sleep and haggard, staring bleary-eyed and at him making sure he is still breathing.
  • Only eat food that tastes good cold. Inadvertently your little angel will need you right when you sit down to eat something, and will continue to need you until the food has lost all it's heat. *This goes for coffee too*
  • Rocking, bouncing, lifting, cradling and carrying a baby around with you everywhere you go makes working out at the gym a piece of cake. Let's face it, at the gym you have a 30 minute workout. With a child, you'll be hauling him/her around all day long, for at least a year or two!
  • Your photographic memory is a thing of the past. Finding that you can't remember the simplest things is disconcerting. Get used to it, it seems to get worse before it gets better. With your mind being on your baby nearly 100% of the time, there is no room to think about anything else let alone remember it.
  • Sleeping (when it actually happens) with your body contorted into something that resembles a pretzel becomes second nature since you find yourself sharing the bed with both hubby and now your little darling. To avoid him/her from being rolled on, falling off the bed or a host of other things, you figure out ways to twist yourself to accommodate the new bed arrangement. Your husband on the other hand still retains his normal sleeping position. -.-
  • You never have enough pacifiers.
  • Long hot showers are a luxury you can no longer afford. It's more like jumping in an out without fulling rinsing the shampoo out of your hair because you thought you heard the baby cry.
  • You quickly learn to change diapers at warp speed. Accidents happen. Especially with boys who like to aim and fire only seconds before the new diaper is on.
  • Take lots of pictures and savor every single second you have with your little angel because before you know it 7 weeks will have gone by....then 7 years, 17 years and you'll wonder where you baby went.
I still find myself wondering where the time went. It's hard to believe 7 weeks went by so quickly. I'm sure I'll be adding to this list of realizations as time passes and I'm sure I've left quite a few things out. You know, since I can't remember anything as mentioned above. ;) One thing I can say for sure about being a mother. Until now, I never thought it was possible to love something so much.

-MoM-

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com